So there has been news that Windows Phone 7.8 would be made available today at a certain time.
When the time hit, Zune reported no updates… I decided to give the “Disconnected Internet” trick a shot. and BAM an update is available! Right now I’m going to OS Version 7.10.8779.8 but I’m assuming this is a prerequisite for Windows Phone 7.8.
PLEASE NOTE: NEVER UN PLUG YOUR PHONE FROM THE COMPUTER WHEN THE UPDATE IS ACTUALLY INSTALLING ON THE PHONE ITSELF. THIS CAN DAMAGE YOUR PHONE.
To force the update:
1) Turn off cellular data, and Wifi on your Lumia 900.
2) Connect to Zune, check for updates. It won’t detect one.
3) Change to a different tab other than update in the settings.
4) Disconnect phone, then reconnect it.
5) Now, get ready. You will need to hit the “Update” button and unplug the network cable from your computer exactly 2 seconds after hitting this button. It will present an update is available!
6) Reconnect internet, then hit Update!
7) Now update!
8) Repeat a few times, I’ll post how many updates there are below!
You will need to perform this a bunch of times to make sure that all the prerequisite updates and 7.8 itself gets installed! I’m updating this post as I’m performing this! If you don’t have luck, keep trying! I think the update servers are getting hammered pretty hard, so this may have an effect on plugging the internet at the right time!
First Update (to):
Second Update (to):
Third Update (to):
I’ve had to perform the trick over 10 times to get these 3 updates! Keep trying if it doesn’t work.
Description for the 3rd update looks like it is Windows Phone 7.8. I’ve embedded a screenshot below: