Well, on December 14th Rogers came out with a new policy on unlocking cellular devices…
You can now call Rogers or Fido, and for a fee, get them to unlock your device. There are however some restrictions:
1) You can unlock if you purchased your phone outright (on no-term pricing, ie. the full cost of the phone).
2) Your contract is up.
To unlock your phone, simply call customer care, and explain to them you would like to unlock it. Keep in mind as of today (December 16th, 2010) I had to call numerous times and talk to numerous departments for them to do it, since ALOT of people either don’t know of the new policy, or have no idea who they are supposed to transfer you to, to do it.
Keep in mind there IS a fee. It’s somewhere around $50.00. The person who provides you with the code SHOULD be able to provide you with instructions.
For you Samsung Focus owners out there, to unlock (once you have the code):
1) Go to phone, and dial ##634# then hit call. This opens the Diagnostic menu.
2) Enter *#7465625# to get to the Lock menu. After putting in the last character it will load. Here you can see you Lock status, etc…
3) Select “Network Lock” and then select “Disable”. Enter your code in the NCK box. Then select “Execute”.
4) Feel free to go back to “Lock Status” to make sure it is disabled. Afterwords just hit Back, Back, Back. You are now unlocked!