Nov 282011
 

Just thought I’d do up a quick little post about an issue I’ve been having for some time, and just got it all fixed.

I’ve been running Astaro Security Gateway inside of a VMware environment for a few years. When version 8.x came out, I went ahead and simply attached the ISO to the VM and re-installed over the old v7 and restored the config. This worked great, and for the longest time I had no real issues.

I noticed from time to time that with packet sniffs, there was quite a few retransmissions and TCP segments lost. This didn’t really pose any issues, and didn’t cause any problems, however it was odd.

Recently, I had to configure a Site to Site IPsec VPN between my office, and one of my employees to provide exchange, VoIP, etc… With astaro this is fairly easy, few clicks and it should work simple, however I started noticing huge issues with file transfers, whether being transferred over SMB (Windows File Sharing), or SCP/SSH. Transfers would either completely halt when started, transfer a few couple hundred kilobytes, or transfer half of the file until it would simply halt and become unresponsive.

After 3-4 days of troubleshooting, I went ahead and did a packet sniff, noticed there were numerous TCP segments lost, fragmentation, etc… Initially I beleive that maybe MTU configuration may have had something to do with it, however TCP/IP and the Astaro device should have taken care of properly setting the MTU on the IPsec automatically.

After trying fresh installs of ASG, etc… and no behaviour change, I finally decided to take a few days away and give it a shot later. I’ve troubleshot this from every avenue and for some reason the issue is still existing. I finally figured that the only thing I haven’t checked was with my VMware vSphere environment. Checked the settings, all was good, however I did notice that the NICs for the ASG vm (which were created by the v7 appliance) were set as flexible, and inside of the VM were detected as some type of AMD network adapter. I found this odd.

After shutting down the ASG VM, removing the NICs and configuring new ones using E1000, all of a sudden the issue was fixed, the IPsec Site to Site VPN functioned properly, and all the network issues seen in network captures were resolved.

I hope this helps some other people who may be frustrated dealing with the same issue.

  4 Responses to “Astaro Security Gateway v8 installed on v7 VM appliance – Issue with Networking “flexible” adapter”

  1. how could i install astaro gateway security in vmware

  2. just to say thanks. I’ve been scratching my head for 2 days checking all the settings of my servers for the bottleneck or misconfiguration. Finally solved it! Cheers.

  3. Thanks for that. I’m just testing V9 (now the Sophos UTM) on ESXi 5.1 and had an issue with SMTP traffic failing to deliver, which had been bugging me for a few days. Also solved by re-installing the Flexible adapters as E1000.

  4. Hi Paul,

    Glad it helped! Just a word of caution…

    There’s an issue using the E1000 NICs on ESXi 5.x that causes a purple/pink screen of death. I noticed it mostly happens only with Windows Guests, but it was causing enough issues taking down an entire ESXi host in my test/demo environment that I chose to configure a new Sophos UTM using VMXNET3 adapters.

    Stephen

 Leave a Reply

Connect with Facebook

(required)

(required)

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>