As of yesterday, Samsung Pay is now available in Canada on your Samsung Gear S3 (and Gear Sport) smartwatch. You’ll need to update the Samsung Gear up to the new Galaxy Wearable app to enable the feature.
Samsung Pay for Samsung Gear S3 and Gear Sport
For some time users have been frustrated that while Samsung Pay has been available in Canada on your mobile devices, it hasn’t been available on their Samsung Gear smartwatches. This is no longer the case. While it has been released, some users are still reporting issues when trying to activate, such as the “Watch is not supported” error.
To get it working:
- Make sure your firmware is up to date on your watch using the Samsung Gear app (or the new Samsung Wearable app).
- Make sure your app is up to date. Samsung Gear should update to the new name of Samsung Wearable.
- Open “Samsung Wearable”, scroll down and look for “Samsung Pay” on the “Info” or “Settings” tab. Tap on this.
- The “Samsung Pay (Plug-in) should now download. Wait for it to launch.
- When opening Samsung Pay in the Samsung Wearable app, you may receive the error “Watch is not supported”.
- Go to “About Gear” under the “Settings” tab, and perform a full manual backup of your Samsung Gear. As soon as this completed, I received the notification on my watch on how to configure Samsung Pay.
- Press and hold the “Back” button on the watch, and follow the instructions. The Samsung Pay app should then install on your Samsung Gear watch.
I swear by Samsung pay (and use it with a number of my cards and loyalty programs). It’s awesome that it’s finally been released in Canada!