Jul 312019
 

Once I upgraded my Synology NAS to DSM 6.2 I started to experience frequent lockups and freezing on my DS1813+. The Synology DS1813+ would become unresponsive and I wouldn’t be able to SSH or use the web GUI to access it. In this state, NFS sometimes would become unresponsive.

When this occured, I would need to press and hold the power button to force it to shutdown, or pull the power. This is extremely risky as it can cause data corruption.

I’m currently running DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 2.

The cause

This occurred for over a month until it started to interfere with ESXi hosts. I also noticed that the issue would occur when restarting any of my 3 ESXi hosts, and would definitely occur if I restarted more than one.

During the restarting, while logged in to the web GUI and SSH, I was able to see that the memory (RAM) usage would skyrocket. Finally the kernel would panic and attempt to reduce memory usage once the swap file had filled up (keep in mind my DS1813+ has 4GB of memory).

Analyzing “top” as well as looking at processes, I noticed the Synology index service was causing excessive memory and CPU usage. On a fresh boot of the NAS, it would consume over 500MB of memory.

The fix

In my case, I only use my Synology NAS for an NFS/iSCSI datastore for my ESXi environment, and do not use it for SMB (Samba/File Shares), so I don’t need the indexing service.

I went ahead and SSH’ed in to the unit, and ran the following commands to turn off the service. Please note, this needs to be run as root (use “sudo su” to elevate from admin to root).

synoservice --disable pkgctl-SynoFinder

While it did work, and the memory was instantly freed, the setting did not stay persistant on boot. To uninstalling the Indexing service, run the following command.

synopkg uninstall SynoFinder

Doing this resolved the issue and freed up tons of memory. The unit is now stable.

Update – August 16th, 2019

My Synology NAS has been stable since I applied the fix, however after an uptime of a few weeks, I noticed that when restarting servers, the memory usage does hike up (example, from 6% to 46%). However, with the fixes applied above, the unit is stable and no longer crashes.

  One Response to “Synology Memory Issues and Crashing”

  1. […] memory resources. On my DS1813+ I was having issues with a bug that was causing memory overflows (the post is here), and while dealing with that, I decided to take it a step further and optimize my […]

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

(required)

(required)